The Ferris Cup

The Ferris Cup is a fabulous trophy, manufactured in sterling silver.

It stands 50.0 cm high, including the lid, weighs 2.73kg and is embossed with a shooting scene on one side, the other side emblazoned with a shamrock garland, the centre of which is hand engraved with the following dedication:

THE
NEWRY DISTRICT CHARITY COMMITTEE
CHALLENGE CUP
Presented by
Rt. Wor. Bro. David Ferris P.G.S.O.C.
May 1944

The Ferris Cup

It was presented by R.W.Bro. David Ferris, Provincial Grand Steward of Charities, a gentleman who had obviously acquired it by means of his prowess at the sport of shooting, but due to his benevolent nature decided to present it to the Newry and District Charity Committee for its annual golf competition. Hence, the Ferris Cup was born in May 1944.

The Cup was hallmarked in Sheffield in 1901, the makers mark being "G. & Co. Ltd". This was supplied by Gibson & Co Ltd, the owner of which was William Gibson who was born in Dromore, County Down.

His Company not only had a presence in Belfast, but also on Regent Street in London and was one of the leading jewellers of his day, exhibiting in Chicago, Philadelphia and Paris, winning many awards in the process.

Mr Gibson was offered a peerage, such was his standing in London society and it is known that when he died in 1913 in Hove, Sussex, a special train was run from London to bring the Lord Mayor, Aldermen and leading businessmen to his funeral.

More can be found on Mr William Gibson at www.gibsontrust.org

Aware NI

AWARE is the depression charity for Northern Ireland

Read more

Sponsorship

The Ferris Cup would like to acknowledge the generous support of our sponsors

Read more